Emerging Social Enterprises in India
A unique collection of 15 contemporary case studies documenting in detail social enterprises in agriculture, Farming Futures: Emerging Social Enterprises in India, edited by Ajit Kanitkar and C. Shambu Prasad showcases the emergence of an entrepreneurial route to solve India's deep-rooted agrarian crisis. The case studies chart the exciting journeys and tribulations in matching purpose and profit, often with a deep concern for the planet's future.
Written by experienced researchers, academics, and development professionals, the case studies span a wide range of agri-sector issues. They present a hope for farming futures for first-generation entrepreneurs, predominantly from non-agriculture backgrounds, by demonstrating the viability of farm enterprises. These include innovations in providing more efficient and non-exploitative linkages to markets and consumers, providing affordable aids and equipment for farming, and reducing the information asymmetry which farmers have when dealing with the market.
Conversations on Farming Futures
Involving editors, case writers, entrepreneurs and experts in the social entrepreneurial ecosystem across multiple cities
- Wed, 11 MarInstitute of Rural Management
- Thu, 27 FebDevelopment Management Institute (DMI)
- Thu, 30 JanBhopal
- Tue, 07 JanEntrepreneurship Development Institute O07 Jan 2020, 14:30 – 16:30 GMT+5:30Entrepreneurship Development Institute O, Gandhinagar - Ahmedabad Rd, Bhat Village, Gandhinagar District, next to Apollo Hospital, GIDC Bhat, Bhat, Ahmedabad, Gujarat 382428, IndiaAs the vision of Jagriti is 'building India through enterprise' there would not be any better occasion to discuss Farming Futures: Emerging social Enterprises in India with the Yatris as they gather for their convocation.
- Thu, 12 DecLe Méridien New Delhi
- Sat, 07 DecTaj Yeshwantpur, Bengaluru07 Dec 2019, 11:00 – 18:00 GMT+5:30Taj Yeshwantpur, Bengaluru, 2275, Tumkur Main Rd, Yeshwanthpur Industrial Area, Phase 1, Yeswanthpur, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560022, IndiaAjit Kanitkar, Author and Co-Editor, Farming Futures: Emerging Social Enterprises in India, will release this book Unconvention 2019 by Villgro.
- Fri, 29 NovAhmedabad Management Association29 Nov 2019, 18:00 – 20:00Ahmedabad Management Association, ATIRA Campus, Dr Vikram Sarabhai Marg, University Area, Ahmedabad, Gujarat 380015, IndiaA panel discussion and conversation on our recent book "Farming Futures: Emerging Social Enterprises in India". The book is a collaborative effort involving over a dozen authors featuring 15 contemporary case studies on Social Enterprises in Agriculture from different parts of the country.
- Thu, 28 NovTata Institute Of Social Sciences28 Nov 2019, 18:20 GMT+5:30Tata Institute Of Social Sciences, P-81, Lal Dutta Marg, BS Ambedkar Nagar, Anushakti Nagar BS Ambedkar Nagar, Anushakti Nagar Mumbai, Maharashtra 400085, Eden Gardens, Chembur, Mumbai,Conversation and Discussion around our book Farming Futures: Emerging Socia Enterprises in India at Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai in collaboration with E-cell TISS, Mumbai.
- Thu, 07 NovBAIF Campus07 Nov 2019, 10:15 – 13:00 GMT-11BAIF Campus, BAIF Bhavan, Mumbai - Bangalore Highway, Giridhar Nagar, Warje, Pune, Maharashtra 411058, IndiaFarming Futures: Emerging Social Enterprises in India" is a book edited by Ajit Kanitkar (VAF) and Shambu Prasad (ISEED IRMA) and has detailed case studies of 15 agri-based social enterprises in India. It will be launched in the annual conference of Vikas Anvesh Foundation at Pune.
About the contributors
ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTORS
Ajit Kanitkar is Senior Advisor and researcher at VikasAnvesh Foundation, Pune. Prior to this, he was Programme Officer at Ford Foundation and Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, both in New Delhi and a faculty member at Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA). He is currently visiting faculty at Indian Institute of Management (IIM) at Udaipur, and is associated with a number of civil society organizations from all parts of the country as a volunteer and pro-bono consultant, including his alma mater Jnana Prabodhini in Pune. He has published extensively in professional journals, including three books on the themes of entrepreneurship and management of cooperatives. He contributes regularly to VillageSquare, India Development Review (IDR), and other online social media platforms on diverse themes related to the developmental sector. His latest co-edited book on twenty two outstanding social workers in India published in 2018 is available at http://www.socialworkindia.in/
To organise a discussion around this book please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the conversation